Regulators warn parents not to give iced drinks to kids


London – Researchers have asked parents to be aware that slushies can be dangerous, so much so that regulators have issued warnings to parents to not give slushies to their children after two kids almost died from consuming the sugary drink. In both cases, doctors blamed glycerol, an additive lurking inside the child-friendly drinks. Glycerol, or E422, gives the drink that desired slushy texture. While mildly toxic to humans, the amount does not pose a danger to adults or older children but a buildup of the ingredient can cause problems in the future.

However, the same isn’t true for younger children. Due to their much lower body weight, even a small amount of glycerol can spark a serious health emergency. The mild symptoms of glycerol intoxication include headaches and vomiting. However, it can send people into shock, where the circulatory system that pumps oxygen-rich blood around the body starts to fail, depriving vital organs of what they need to function. Signs of shock include having pale, cold, clammy skin, as well as sweating, rapid or shallow breathing, weakness or dizziness, nausea and possible vomiting, extreme thirst, and yawning and sighing. Hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar, is another effect of glycerol intoxication.